Saturday, August 23, 2014

Don’t isolate yourself from the world – but don’t be like it either. (ROE Pt 1)

Rules of Engagement - Part 1

In the world, but not of it”*. It’s a well-known Christian catch-cry. And it actually sums up really well what Christ-followers should do. We should connect in the world, and engage with people. Be you. And if you want to wear a leather jacket, wear a leather jacket. I can’t afford one, so I wear vinyl. No one can tell. If you want to spend money on fashion… there’s nothing inherently wrong with that. What’s the alternative anyway? Deliberately uncool? A jacket from the 70s? Actually, they’re cool these days. HOWEVER… this we stretch it too far if we apply it to areas of morality, and issues of the heart. Let's think of an artist we all know and love very much...

Kanye West has been rapping a long time. Eight years ago now, he rapped: “They tell you… preach us, teach us, Jesus; Okay, look up now, they done stole your streetness” (in the song "Good Morning"). A few years earlier, he rapped “God show me the way because the devil’s tryna’ bring me down”** and one of the ways he does this is by tempting us to become like the world – in a bad sense. Whenever we stand at crossroads like everyone does, we need to think about Scriptures like 1 John 2:15 etc and Matthew 6:24I love Kanye, but I don’t wanna see more creative believers go in the same direction, because in the end, it will only lead to hurt and regret. I’m pressing this point (again) because it’s so important.

If being cool means getting drunk on Saturday night before church the next morning, I don’t wanna be cool. If I have to sleep around to be with the “in” crowd... then count me "out". I don’t want so called “streetness”, if I have to stop following Jesus to get it. The truth is though that Christ is out in the streets, and the streets is where you'll find his true followers. In the world. Not off.

As we follow him, in a sense, we redefine what is cool. When it comes to heart attitudes/behaviours……. I’d say, being caring is cool. I’d say, helping people is cool. I'd say showing "love" for thy neighbor – is cool!!! We aren’t meant to be “of the world” in a bad sense, or in the sense of choosing "sin" etc. The big “C” word (compromise) won't help you live out your calling. And of course on the other hand… neither will being deliberately uncool/isolating yourself from the world, just for the sake of it. What purpose does that serve?

Obviously, we need to become good at engaging culture. In. Not off.

We have been sent into the world as believers (see John 17:18), obviously with a purpose. A mission even. And it's impossible to live out this mission "in the world" today without cultural engagement. Simple as that. If you walk into a shop, and someone says “how are you”, whatever you say back is engaging culture. The last thing we want to do is be sloppy in our cultural engagement.

I look back on my life like what a fool
cos now my life might redefine what is cool
...fresh prince, barely old enough to rule..
Me without God, is Tiger Woods without golf courses
Now I be cooler than popsicles on porches
...fashion game of my life brightened up
It's a dark world folk gotta lighten up” - Blake Young (Hip Hop artist) song is: here.

IN THE WORLD // NOT OF IT


*See John 17:11,14-18    **From the song "Jesus Walks" (like all of us, he has a dream.)

No comments:

Post a Comment